The dog and cat fur trade
The European Union ban on imports took effect as of 1 January 2009. However, some products made with dog or cat fur may be mislabeled.
Please be cautious if choosing to buy fur products – particularly in Canada where the import and export of dog and cat skins is shockingly perfectly legal.
VIDEO LINK: Dog and cat fur trade
- Up to 10 adult dogs needed to make fur coat
- Up to 24 cats needed for cat fur coat
- Cat and dog fur also used in hats, gloves, shoes, blankets, stuffed animals and toys
- Dog fur labelled as: Gae-wolf, sobaki, Asian jackal, goupee, loup d’Asie, Corsac fox, dogues du Chine, fake or exotic fur
- Cat fur labelled as: house cat, wild cat, katzenfelle, rabbit, goyangi, mountain cat