Type to search

Animal Welfare Cats dogs

The popular Mother’s Day flowers that are a BIG risk to your pets

While flower bouquets are a popular gift for Mother’s Day, they have the potential to be VERY dangerous for cats and dogs. 

The experts at GoCompare have put together this short guide on how to keep your pets safe and avoid sickness this Mother’s Day.

The 10 most common Mother’s Day flower varieties that are a risk to dogs and cats:

  1. Tulip

Tulips are an in-demand choice for Mother’s Day. The colour purple represents royalty while pink expresses affection, making them a popular choice for Mother’s Day.  However, pet owners are commonly unaware they are in fact toxic for both cats and dogs. Consumption often leads to vomiting, diarrhoea, hypersalivation, and even depression amongst pets.

  1. Carnation

This is a traditional, but popular choice for Mother’s Day or Mothering Sunday, as it’s known in the UK. They were first sent by the founder of Mother’s Day in the USA, Anna Jarvis to 500 mothers in West Virginia to celebrate her late mother. The white flower represents pure and unconditional love. Pet owners, however, should be aware that if consumed by pets they can be dangerous. The toxicity of the plant can cause skin irritation and diarrhoea for animals through both exposure and ingestion.

  1.  Lily 

Lilies can be extremely poisonous for pets, especially cats, and are the most dangerous flower to have at home. Even if swallowed in very small amounts from just licking the plant, it can lead to incurable poisoning and kidney failure.

  1. Daffodil

All parts of this yellow flower are toxic to pets. However, the bulbs are particularly poisonous like many spring flowers. Eating a daffodil can cause severe vomiting and health conditions for pets.

  1. Iris

Iris are also toxic to pets, commonly causing tummy and skin irritation alongside gastrointestinal symptoms when eaten.

  1. Hyacinth

A popular plant in spring as well as Mother’s day, Hyacinth are also very toxic to pets, causing both internal and external irritation. 

  1. Pink Roses

Pink roses rather than red are the perfect gift for Mother’s day as they represent admiration. While these roses aren’t severely toxic, they can cause upset stomachs when consumed by your pet.

  1. Rhododendron

Toxic to both cats and dogs, the leaves in particular are most toxic when consumed with symptoms developing in as little as minutes after ingested.

  1. Hydrangea

Hydrangeas are toxic to both cats and dogs as they contain cyanide. They are rarely fatal but can cause diarrhoea, vomiting, and in some cases depression. 

  1. Orchids 

Orchids are another popular choice for Mother’s day flowers. Pink varieties in particular represent elegance and femininity. While Orchids are not as deadly in comparison to other flowers, when consumed they can cause tummy aches and vomiting in pets. 

Common symptoms that your pet has eaten a toxic flower

When picking out a bouquet to give to a loved one, you should always consider any pets they have and be aware of what types of flowers to keep away from them. Some popular flower choices can be extremely dangerous to cats and dogs if swallowed, even in small amounts. 

Different flower varieties all have different effects on pets, however, it is important to be aware of the common symptoms to look out for. These include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Increased heart rate
  • Lethargy/weakness
  • Loss of appetite
  • Seizures / muscle tremors
  • Bleeding due to abrasions/punctures from ingesting thorns

It is advised to keep any flowers out of reach from curious pets, on a high shelf or separate room that they cannot access. 

To keep your pets safe from any health incidents, GoCompare have pulled together a list of the safer variety of flowers to consider this Mother’s Day.

10 Mothers Day flower varieties that are the safest for pets:

1.       Sunflowers 

2.       Roses with no thorns

3.       Waxflower

4.       Olive 

5.       Freesia

6.       Snapdragons 

7.       Pitto 

8.       Calendula 

9.       Petunia 

10.   Scabiosa

Sally Jaques, Pet Insurance Expert at GoCompare, added:  

“Pet emergencies and incidents can occur when curious pets eat gifts such as flowers and chocolates. 

It is very important owners consider whether the gifts they purchase are “pet-friendly” and make sure they take the precautions to keep these out of reach from their pets. 

If you do notice any of the symptoms listed and suspect your pet has eaten something harmful, contact a vet for advice as the sooner you react the better chance you will give your pet to recover. ”